Friday, September 29, 2006

false start

Do you ever get ahead of yourself? More imporatantly, do you ever get ahead of God? I've been praying and thinking a lot lately about my life plans. Where am I now and where am I supposed to go? I know where I am now. I know what I am currently doing. However, I'm a planner. I'm always looking for my next step.

Today the words "false start" came to mind. The dictionary version of false start is "a failed attempt to begin something, and a situation in which a competitor in a race breaks a regulation governing the starting procedeure and the race has to be restarted." False starts are a common mistake in athletics. They cause a race or play to be restarted and a penalty usually results.

I think false starts are common in other areas of our lives too. We jump the gun, suffer a penalty, and have to start over. So, why then do we do it? In life, like playing sports, we get too excited too quickly. The adrenaline flows and we just can't help taking that step too soon. I believe that it is a lack of self control that causes us to move too early. In sports, the game ends and the false start doesn't count anymore. In life, in our emotions, and in our spirit it is harder to start again. Sometimes a false start isn't followed by a second chance. It is a lot to take in, but it is so true.

So, what do we do about it? Honestly, I think the only thing we can really do is wait on God. God had our lives planned before we were even born. He knit us together in our mother's womb (Psalm 139:13). HE is the author of our book! When we take matters into our own hands it shows that we don't trust God to lead us in the way we should go. It shows that we don't think he'll see us through like he promised. God's timing is perfect! He is trustworthy and faithful.

I have wasted so time taking matters into my own hands. I have seen the destruction that comes from it. God has really shown me, and still shows me that I am not all-knowing. I don't have all the answers. I trust him so much right now. It is a challenge sometimes, but I know that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, and who have been called according to his purpose"(Romans 8:28). God promises good things. Life is just a long process. It is a conglomeration of people and events. Life takes time. God definitely takes his time. There is no need for false starts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so true! this has been very helpful to my week! :)