Friday, September 22, 2006

be like children

Tonight I roamed the aisles of Borders. I frequent book stores. I like how they smell. I like how there are a million things to look at. I like reading the greeting cards, looking at the calendars, and finding a quiet corner where I can curl up to read poetry. Mostly though, I love to read the children's books. They are simplistically written yet unusually significant in context. For example, I read this book called It's Hard to be Five. The five year old boy in the book vocalized the frustrations that being five years old brings. He mentioned growing out of his clothes and starting school. I thought to myself, "It is amazing how when we're little we think our lives are so hard. Then, we grow up and miss the innocence and simplicity of childhood." How often do we stress out over life so much that we miss the beauty of it? We go through life so task-minded. We set goals, achieve them, and move on. It is so sad. Personally, I am guilty of letting life fly by at lightspeed. I so often look back on my week only to find that everything is a blur. I can't remember what I did, when I did it, or what I'm going to be doing in the next seven days. I miss the days where I only worried about little things that didn't really matter.

So, with that said, I have a challenge for you. Be more like children! Matthew 18:2-4 says, "He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." We all need to be more like children. We need to reclaim our innocence and walk in it!

No comments: