Wednesday, October 18, 2006

time for a test!

It is time for a test! In my life I go through cycles. It all starts with a test. Next is a period of conquering. The third phase is peace. Then, the cycle starts over when another test arises. I might be confusing you, so let me further explain.

Like I said, it all starts with a test. Tests are a good gauge of where we're at in life. My pastor back home recently said, "You are in one of three places when it comes to trouble. You either you are in it, you just came out of it, or you are about to be in it." I see troubled times as tests.

Phase 1: The Test
In school and in work environments we are tested to gauge progress. The tests tell our teachers and bosses if we are ready to move on to the next task. Tests can come in all shapes and sizes. For me, it usually comes in the form of temptation. By this I mean that the tests, or in other words, the life lessons usually make me choose between taking matters into my own hands and letting God take control. Temptation is a struggle in my thought life more than anything. I tend to worry about things instead of trusting God with everything.

Phase 2: Coming Out of the Test
The second phase is conquering. Conquering is probably the hardest and most exciting part! You got an A+! You are ready to move on. Conquering takes so much time and effort. Conquering temptation is something that, at least in my life, can only come with the help of God. My Old Testament professor, Dr. Watson said this, "God doesn't call us to do anything we can do on our own." This is true for me. Without God I cannot conquer temptation. Without Him I cannot pass the tests of life.

Phase 3: Peace
Peace is my personal favorite! It is the sigh of relief after the test where I can close my eyes and really rest soundly. Peace is what I believe most people strive for. Peace usually doesn't last long though, so it should be cherished! Ah, peace. "Breathe in. Breathe out." I think peace is the reward given for persevering through the test. It is the few moments of peace that gear us up for the next fast approaching test. Enjoy it while it lasts!

I am currently in phase one! I thought to myself today, "Just when I thought I was in the clear another temptation/distraction arises. Just my luck!" The test phase for me is where I make a decision. After playing with the idea of straying away for just a little while I decide to let God have it. I cannot conquer temptation on my own. I choose to trust Him to take care of it. I believe that by doing this I will conquer and achieve peace a lot faster. There is a down-side. Deciding to let God take control doesn't mean the lesson will be easy. The lessons are meant to be challenging. With God, our faith and strength are made stronger so we can be prepared for the next test.

I love what Paul, Silas, and Timothy said to the church of the Thessalonians in 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 [Amplified Bible] "Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, Who loved us and gave us everlasting consolation and encouragement and well-founded hope through [His] grace (unmerited favor), Comfort and encourage your hearts and strengthen them [make them steadfast and keep them unswerving] in every good work and word." I love this because it encourages us to stand firm in who God is, and to take hold of His favor in times of testing. Tests are necessary, and by the grace of God we can conquer them and achieve peace.

No comments: